Gonna be honest, guys. 2019 was a soul-killing year.
I’ve heard this from a few people, as well, so it isn’t just me. There was something that was just genuinely shit about 2019.
In terms of books, we had some stunners released this year. My TBR is towering at this point, so I think the reading challenge for 2020 will be an Unread On My Shelves challenge!
In terms of reading, though?
I didn’t achieve the Goodreads challenge of 50 books that I’d set myself, and I didn’t achieve the PopSugar reading challenge, either.
And honestly, while it sucks a little, I’m also pretty ok with that. Because this year was truly and genuinely awful, so I am proud that I’ve read as much as I have. In fairness to me, I have done almost nothing but read for a lot of the year, it’s just that the material that I’ve been reading has been chapters or articles for work/study and haven’t counted toward either challenge. I am still going to try and do better next year, though, both in terms of reading (especially what’s on my shelves already!) and in terms of writing reviews for what I am reading.
However, this is what I was able to get to this year, and I even have reviews for a few of them (which I will attempt, in a ham-handed way, to link either to the review here or on Goodreads). The list is ordered from most recently read down to the first read of the year. And yes, I have included single issue comics. It has been a rough year.
- Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, J.K. Rowling (audiobook, Spanish) Goodreads Review
- One for the Money, Janet Evanovich Goodreads Review
- Naked In Death, J.D. Robb
- Computational Propaganda, Samuel Woolley (Ed.) Goodreads Review
- LikeWar, Peter Singer and Emerson T. Brooking Goodreads Review
- Glory In Death, J.D. Robb
- Madam C.J. Walker Builds a Business, Rebel Girls Goodreads Review
- New Technologies and the Law in War and Peace, William Boothby (Ed.) Global Change, Peace & Security Review
- 2019 11th International Conference on Cyber Conflict: Silent Battle, T. Minárik et al. Goodreads Review
- The Night I Met Father Christmas, Ben Miller Goodreads Review
- America’s Covert War in East Africa, Clara Usiskin LSE RoB Review Goodreads Review
- The Little Vampire, Angela Sommer-Bodenburg
- Writing a Watertight Thesis, Mike Bottery LSE RoB Review Goodreads Review
- The Language of Flowers, Sue Behrent Goodreads Review
- Books of Magic Issue 6, Kat Howard
- Books of Magic Issue 5, Kat Howard
- Books of Magic Issue 4, Kat Howard
- Books of Magic Issue 3, Kat Howard
- Books of Magic Issue 2, Kat Howard
- Books of Magic Issue 1, Kat Howard
- The Nutcracker, Alexandre Dumas PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Your Heart is the Sea, Nikita Gill PPC Review Goodreads Review
- The Eyes of Tamburah, Maria V. Snyder PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Poems of the Irish People, Various Goodreads Review
- Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Fiber, Susan Crawford LSE RoB Review
- The House at Baker Street, Michelle Birkby PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Buried in Black, J.T. Patten PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Sleeping Giants, Sylvain Neuvel Goodreads Review
- The House With A Clock In Its Walls, John Bellairs Goodreads Review
- The Case of the Missing Marquess, Nancy Springer PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Home Fires, Fiona Lowe PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Bedknob and Broomstick, Mary Norton PPC Review Goodreads Review
- The Lost World, Arthur Conan Doyle PPC Review Goodreads Review
- The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg Goodreads Review
- Buffy – The High School Years: Glutton for Punishment, Kel McDonald Goodreads Review
- The Greatest Mysteries of the Unexplained, Lucy Doncaster PPC Review Goodreads Review
- I Am Spock, Leonard Nimoy PPC Review Goodreads Review
- The Celtic Twilight, W. B. Yeats PPC Review
- His Finest Hour, Christopher Catherwood PPC Review Goodreads Review
- The Magic Worlds of the Lord of the Rings, David Colbert PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Aquaman: Volume 1, Geoff Johns PPC Review Goodreads Review
- Moby Dick, Herman Melville
How did everyone else go this year? Let me know!